President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Thursday to begin the process of shutting down the Department of Education, fulfilling a long-standing conservative goal to return educational oversight to the states. The move marks a historic shift in federal education policy and is expected to face significant legal and political challenges.
Trump’s order instructs Education Secretary Linda McMahon to take the “necessary steps” to dissolve the $268 billion agency while ensuring that programs and services continue without disruption. However, fully closing the department will require congressional approval, setting the stage for a contentious battle over the future of federal education oversight.
A Conservative Dream Realized
The elimination of the Department of Education has been a Republican priority since President Ronald Reagan’s administration. The agency was established in 1979 under President Jimmy Carter, with the goal of streamlining education funding and enforcing civil rights laws. However, conservatives have long argued that it has become a tool for promoting left-wing ideology and imposing federal control over local schools.
“Everybody knows it’s right,” Trump said before signing the order. “We have to get our children educated.” He called the move a long-overdue correction, asserting that states and parents, rather than federal bureaucrats, should be in charge of education decisions.
The decision to dismantle the department was a key point in the 2024 Republican platform and aligns with Trump’s broader efforts to reduce federal bureaucracy.
McMahon’s "Final Mission" and Workforce Reduction
McMahon, Trump’s handpicked Education Secretary, has fully embraced the task of shutting down the agency. Earlier this month, she informed department employees that her role was to oversee the agency’s dissolution in a responsible manner.
“Our job is to respect the will of the American people and the president they elected, who has tasked us with accomplishing the elimination of bureaucratic bloat here at the Department of Education — a momentous final mission — quickly and responsibly,” McMahon said.
As part of the downsizing, McMahon has already moved to cut nearly 50% of the department’s workforce, with affected employees being placed on administrative leave starting Friday. Additionally, the department has rescinded almost $1 billion in grants to organizations that promote Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Critical Race Theory (CRT), which the administration has criticized as divisive.
Legal and Political Hurdles Ahead
Despite Trump’s executive action, legal experts say the Department of Education cannot be fully dissolved without congressional approval. Democrats and education advocacy groups are expected to challenge the order, arguing that it undermines national education standards and civil rights protections.
Beyond legal battles, the order is certain to spark intense debate over the role of federal oversight in education. Opponents argue that dissolving the department could lead to disparities in education quality between states, particularly for low-income and marginalized students who rely on federal programs.
Republicans, however, argue that the move will increase local control, allowing parents and communities to shape education policy without interference from Washington. McMahon echoed this sentiment, stating that removing federal oversight would empower parents and teachers by reducing bureaucratic red tape.
“An effective transfer of educational oversight to the states will mean more autonomy for local communities,” she said. “Teachers, too, will benefit from less micromanagement in the classroom — enabling them to get back to basics.”
Crackdown on DEI and Civil Rights Investigations
In addition to restructuring the department, the Trump administration has intensified efforts to eliminate DEI initiatives in schools and universities. The Education Department has launched civil rights investigations into multiple institutions accused of antisemitic harassment and discrimination.
Columbia University, in particular, saw its federal grants—totaling $400 million—revoked due to widespread reports of antisemitic and anti-Israel campus activity following Hamas’s October 7, 2023, attack on Israel. The administration has warned that other schools could face similar consequences if they continue to support DEI initiatives that allegedly discriminate against certain groups.
What Comes Next?
The executive order sets in motion a complicated process that will take months or even years to unfold. While the Trump administration is determined to see the department shuttered, the ultimate decision will rest with Congress.